Saturday, November 11, 2006

Gen Y

I am starting to see more and more of the power tripping attitudes of Gen Y students. Sure, I'm one of them, but have had a very sheltered upbringing. When something is "closed" - it's closed, you go away and think of what you can do with the time before the thing is open. When something is "full" - it's full, and you consider what alternative you have.

I'm sicking of having prolonged arduous conversations with people who seem to think they will get something because they've asked. When you ask - you gamble - the answer is yes or no - so never invest completely in a yes. Today I opened a door for a student just to tell her where she could get a stapler. Simplicita? If you need a stapler now and did not have one, would it be the end of the world? But under certain policies including insurance, people can't come in and do as the please when it is outside of opening hours.

I pointed out to her that using her time in this manner was more costly than just going to somewhere where there is a stapler and her friend (local student. boy, first year) accused me of abusing a position of power.

Other staff has just pointed out that these people are those trying to go on a power trip - oh the world revolves around them. screw rules, screw you, you're in my way and preventing me from getting what i want.

I'm just rambling on about it because i don't understand.

We, each of us, always try to get what we want but honestly having a 19 year old boof and say you're stepping over the line when they clearly are the ones stepping over the line. Gosh, did they get dropped as a baby...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home